Friday, September 5, 2014

In for surprises

As a mom very few things shock me. My son peed in the small trash can in his room once. I was surprised and disappointed, but not shocked. Many things my children do make me raise my eyebrows. Here are a few that have surprised me the most:

How little my daughter resembles me
Maybe I was expecting a carbon copy of myself, like my husband got when our son was born, but my daughter doesn't resemble me at all. She is much more beautiful to the point I am stunned we are related. When she made her debut into the world, I wondered where those bright blue eyes came from and now that she is 10 months old, I still don’t see any resemblance.

How bossy my son can be
“Put your seat belt on!” Before I even sit down in the driver seat, I am lectured. The less than three-foot-tall human knows what he wants and seat belt safety is high on the list. He is also particularly bossy about breakfast foods, bath toys and how we close his bedroom door at night. As long as he doesn’t start telling me what to wear, I am okay with the occasional tasks I am given.

How many Oscar-winning performances I've seen
There have been meltdowns, too numerous to count, but at times I am surprised by how quickly my little darlings can turn it on an off. During one of the more memorable performances (in front of Nana and Papa) my son was screaming in protest of bath time. I sternly took him upstairs to the tub, away from the hubbub of the dinner table. As I was stripping his clothes for the bath, I said, “That was quite a show!” Almost instantly, his whaling and tears stopped and I heard a cackle of laughter. He knew that I knew he was laying it on thick, and the recognition of this  clicking in his brain at that moment – took me by surprise.

How gross my son can be
Aside from the trash can incident, my son hands me bugs on a regular basis, including one this morning in a tissue. He also leaves food around the house, enjoys showing me his morning bathroom productivity and toe cheese at night. These are surprises I could live without, given a choice.

How big bathroom humor is in our house
One day after a hike in the woods, I asked my son what he remembered most. “I touched geese poop,” he said laughing so hard the cookie he was eating flung from the space between his front teeth. These are the kind of jokes he thrives on. They never seem to get old. Talk of all things bathroom related make my son chuckle to the point of hilarity. They help to snap him out of bad moods too, which is good for all of us.

How much my son hates to share
Since there are two kids in my house now, the older one is terrible when it comes to sharing. I've explained that everyone can play with all the toys in our house, but my son still insists on ripping his super heroes from my little girl’s hands. My son doesn't mince words when it comes to sharing either. He answers with a defiant, “no!” followed by, “because I don’t want to.” I only hope one day he sees value in sharing with others and how important it is.

How thoughtful my kids can be
My 10-month-old crawled over to me the other day and put one of her puffs up to my mouth. Maybe she thought I was hungry? Also, in the mailbox this week, I found a folded up paper, covered in a pencil drawing. “It’s a letter for you mom, from me,” my son said beaming. He happened to draw it with his father, and then put it in the mailbox later. The sweetness of both moments took me by surprise and was not lost on me.

There are many more surprises I have stumbled upon as a mom of two young children. Some I've enjoyed, others I've dreaded, but for the most part I look forward to what surprises the future holds. What surprises you about your child? Share your most surprising moments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment