Monday, August 5, 2013

Everybody needs a change

The little one’s voice is big. He’s nudging me while I sleep. Mama. Mama!

There are grunts between glimpses of speech. His hand is on my shoulder blade, digging in.

“Play with your toys,” I mumble. My words only intensify his. Mama! Mama! I am sleeping amid a sea of toys.

“Ok. I’m getting up,” I say lying motionless by his side. His little cry is what I would imagine acupuncture on my inner ear to feel like. Then, suddenly it hits me in the face. The smell is unmistakable. This is when I know it’s time. I rise. He has risen already. Standing in the pick-me-up position, I oblige and kiss his cheek.

“Let’s go,” I say. His expression changes instantly. First the curves of his mouth, then his cheeks, eyes, even his eyebrows transform into one big smile. “Let’s go change that dukie.”

No comments:

Post a Comment